A BRIEF HISTORY OF TRINITY UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
· In 1945 a group of people met to discuss the possibility of establishing a Methodist church in the Upper Grand Strand.
· In September 1946 the 1st service was held in a small building on Crescent Beach.
· A petition was sent to the District Superintendent to send a minister to Crescent Beach. Rev Carl L Parker was appointed the first pastor in late 1946.
· The new church was called Ocean View Chapel Methodist Church.
· Soon after the Jordan family gave 5 lots to the church and the church purchased 2 additional lots.
· Ground was broken in March 1947 and the church was first used in August 1947. No pews or pulpit were present, just a piano, a few chairs and 12 hymnals. By late fall pews and a pulpit were installed.
· In 1950 Sunday school rooms were planned and an educational building constructed (AG Green).
· On June 17, 1951 a resolution was passed to change the name to Trinity Methodist Church.
· In 1952 a parsonage was acquired and was located on the corner of 14th S and Edge.
· Membership grew and plans were started to replace the “little church” with a larger church.
· The “little church” was moved to Edge Drive and converted to a fellowship hall. Ground breaking occurred on February 11, 1959.
· 1962 furnishings were installed, although it was not fully in use until heat and air conditioning was completed in the winter of 1965-66.
· On April 23, 1968 the United Methodist Church was formed by the Methodist Church and Evangelical Brethren Church. Trinity Methodist Church became Trinity United Methodist Church.
· A steeple was added to TUMC in 1975 and in1979 a new parsonage was purchased which is at the present site on Elizabeth Street.
· In 1981 plans were made to enlarge the facilities with classrooms and office space.
· In 1983 a 2-story addition was built connecting the present sanctuary and the fellowship hall. 2 more lots were purchased for future parking.
· In May 1989 a new organ was installed. Christmas Eve of that same year 15” of snow fell and Christmas Eve and Christmas Day services were cancelled!
· In 1992 Administrative Council voted to purchase another lot on Edge Dr.
· A celebration was held in 1997 to mark Trinity’s 50th anniversary. Bishop Robert Spain was the guest speaker.
· In 2006 a balcony was added to our church due to increased numbers.
· In 2009 the Share the Vision project. Down-turn of the economy made that not feasible at that time.
· In June 2012 we welcomed Rev Michael Ritter and family as our new and present pastor, replacing Rev Steve Brown who was moved to Greenville, SC.
· In 2013 the loan for the balcony was paid in full and was marked with a burning of the bank note ceremony.
· Where will God send us next? Let us open our hearts and mind for His answer.